I’m always looking for healthy snack to make for the kids. I came across the Go for 2 and 5 website (a government initiative) which has some great recipe ideas for kids.
I thought the Chocolately Fruit Balls might be an easy one for Scarlett to help with and the word ‘chocolate’ might fool her into liking them. In fact they are so healthy it’s almost disgusting. I was sure Scarlett would turn her nose up at them once she tried them but she actually seemed to like them.
Here is my version of the recipe:
Chocolate Dog Droppings
1 cup nuts (I used a mix of macadamias and pine nuts)
½ cup dates
½ cup dried apricots
½ cup raisins
2 tablespoons cocoa
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup desiccated coconut (I used brown shredded coconut left over from birthday cake making)
1 tablespoon orange juice (if needed – which I didn’t)
– Put nuts, dates, apricots, raisins and cocoa in the bowl of your food processor
– If the mixture does not hold together well add 1 tablespoon of orange juice
– Put coconut and cinnamon in a bowl and mix well
– Spread coconut on kitchen paper or foil
– Using your hands, roll teaspoonful lots of mixture into balls
– Toss each ball in coconut
– Put in the fridge until they are firm
Scarlett managed to get hers to look more like dog poo than anything I’ve seen before hence the name I’ve given ours.